Thursday, February 7, 2008

Having Snow Much Fun!

Did you all survive the day with your kiddos home from school? I was lucky enough to be able to go to work while Tony stayed home with them. I can only take so many "I'm bored"'s before I go nuts.

I was really productive at work today - it was quieter than normal - the snow must have kept everyone homebound - so I finished two kits and a store display. I love that sense of accomplishment!

Any Lost fans out there? It's on for 2 hours tonight - Woooo Hooooo! Love it! I don't watch any shows except that one and Scrubs - I hate being committed to my TV. If it were up to me, we wouldn't even have a TV - yep, in my eyes, it really is just a boob tube.

Last night at 9pm Tony had the great idea of taking the kids snowmobiling around the area so we layered up and jumped on the sleds - this was a huge deal for me because I am such a rule follower and the whole "noise past 9pm" and driving illegally around subdivisions made me a nervous wreck. Anyways, as I was driving with Kalea holding tight to my waist, we came to a very steep hill. Tony and Josh flew down it with full He-Man glory. Kalea and I stopped dead in the snow and quivered at the thought of flying down it. What if we don't make it? What if Kalea falls off? What if I lose control? What if, what if , WHAT IF??!!! And then out of nowhere came this inner voice that said (get ready, cuz this is the thought to ponder for today) "When you stop living in fear, you start living" - Man, is that profound. I beg to differ with this quote around 20 times a day. You see, I'm a real live in the flesh scaredy cat. I fear EVERYTHING. My fear often paralyzes me and keeps me from enjoying some of the most exhilarating facets of life. I think of all things that I fear, the biggest is "The fear of what others will think" - Holy cow, if any fears should be thrown to the wind, that's definitely the one. Who cares what others think???? Oh, if only I could honestly not give a rat's butt, then I bet I'd surely do some livin'! I fear failure, success, the dentist, myself, anything fast and spinning, spiders, driving a snowmobile, driving a car, sports... seriously, I could go on and on.

So back to that moment at the top of the hill - I can hear Kalea shouting over the sound of the snowmobile engine, "Mom! I don't want to go down that hill, I'm afraid!" So I turned to look at her, took a deep breath, assured her we would be fine and yelled "HOLD ON!!" I threw my caution to the wind, put trust in my inner voice, and gunned it. Guess what happened? Absolutely nothing. That's right friends. I did something that I feared, and I'm stronger because of it. I also set an example for Scaredy Cat Jr. (Kalea). Would I do it again?? Probably not but I'll take it one step at a time. Baby steps - yeah, that's it... baby steps.

J

No comments:

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am totally committed to enjoying this life I've been blessed with. I'm a Mom of 3 amazing kids, and I've been married 12 years to the love of my life. Scrapbooking is how I express myself and how I fulfill that artistic calling that won't leave me alone at all hours of the day. I am a designer for a Michigan scrapbook store called Little Scrapbox and I love what I do!! I'm so lucky! Thanks for visiting my blog! Nice to meet you!